on the Body - A Study of the Personal Items On and Near the Body
with Mr. Rawat Hijra.
was asked about personal objects in 3 different situations.
Watch: “I feel uncomfortable if I don’t wear it”.
“Portable information with real-time feedback”.
called “Kada”, made with cooper. It has an original religious
function in his culture, but he does not use it with this meaning. He
believes that it is good for the blood and he likes the feeling of the
metal in the skin. He uses it more like a decorative add on.
- Ring made in iron. The same thing of the Kada bracelet, a religious
object that are been used as a decorative and cultural reinforcement function.
Both the ring and the bracelet are made with metals that oxidize
and change when in touch with the sweat and with the time. In
somehow they are a way to be more integrated with nature substances and
interactions that are more or less lost in the hyper-higienic urban society.
- Laptop. He use it for work and he considers it as the second
step in the creation process. Although without it he can't work, he can
stand a good time away from the computer without a crisis.
and earrings. Another decoration. Men are used to wear it in
his mother culture, and he kept this habit. Women use different types
- More: wallet, house keys and hanky, in the
- Remove wallet,
keys and watch. The 3 objects are left together in the
same place because they are a kind of ‘package’ that is used
- Verify papers left in the pockets during the day, in a way
to remember things to do or that were done.
- Change the clothes to things more comfortable like a track-paint
and a t-shirt.
- Uses the computer as a stereo and as a video to watch movies.
It usually remains on all the time in the house.
situation: at bed, going sleep
- Takes off
all decoration things before going sleep.
- There are close to the bed an alarm clock, a book
and the telephone.
- Turn off the computer.